An education at Alpha Omega Academy is classical in its structure and form as well as in the content of the studies. By classical we mean that, at all levels, our curriculum seeks to develop in the student…
- A body of knowledge essential to educated men an women of the Post-Reformation western world.
- Sound reasoning skills.
- The capacity for beauty and clarity of expression.
Our educational approach is based upon the classical teaching model known as the trivium, which divides the educational life of the child into three stages and emphasizes the student’s natural capacity for certain types of learning at each different stage.
Latin reveals a great deal about English and significantly enhances the student’s powers of expression in his native language.
- About 80% of English vocabulary is derived from Latin and Greek.
- English vocabulary tests reveal that students of Latin score higher.
- Latin trains minds to encounter unfamiliar material, with success, whether in science or any other discipline.
Latin develops and deepens the student’s understanding and appreciation for literature.
A doorway is opened to outstanding classical literature. The student’s understanding of English literature grows because great English literature is filled with classical allusions, and a student who understands these develops keener insights.
Latin provides an understanding of the classical impact on our modern culture.
We see this in wedding rings, dollar signs, political structure, architecture, the names of constellations and planets this can be traced to a classical origin.
Latin trains the student in the essentials of scientific method: observation, comparison, and generalization.
Students of Latin are Equipped in a methodology of rigorous analysis. Latin trains minds to encounter unfamiliar material with success, whether in science or any other discipline.
Latin provides a wonderful foundation for the study of other modern languages.
- Direct descendants of Latin are Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, and Romanian.
- Students learn how inflected languages work, such as German, Russian, and Greek.